Late last year I had a rough visit with the doctor. Rough because he pointed out the blatant health risks in the bluntest of terms associated with my eating habits and resulting BMI. Needless to say, he made an impact and I changed, lost weight and have adopted a new lifestyle.
Among several modifications to my daily habits is a return to breakfast. My fast pace and stress filled lifestyle gave rise to the coffee-on-the-go morning meal which inevitably made me irritable and starved by noon.
Doc told me to eat a large breakfast and I’ve followed his advice.
Having thought, read and acted upon doc’s advice, I’d like to share with you my top reasons for eating breakfast:
- Stops impulse binging and overeating as a result of hunger and craving – no more mid-morning hypo, fast food cravings. Instead I eat an equally healthy lunch
- Enables normal metabolic rate and activity – the body needs fuel and when it doesn’t it begins to slow down calorie consumption. Breakfast gets the metabolism up and running and burning calories at a normal rate.
- Maintains a normal insulin response — studies indicate that skipping meals leads to hyper insulin response when calories are later consumed, which in turn encourages fat accumulation
- Provides energy when you first need it — I need energy first thing in the morning and am now able to hit the ground running
- Gives clarity of thought – I’ve experienced a noticeable difference and an improvement in concentration and efficiency
- Gives Essential nutrients — the nutrients that are bypassed by skipping breakfast are essential to good health
- Lower cholesterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease as suggested by researchers
- Satisfies hunger- I always said I’m not hungry in the morning – well, now that I’ve adopted healthy eating habits I am. No more late night snacking leads to a healthy appetite in the morning
- Time for Morning Contemplation – taking time out first thing in the morning is enjoyable and provides an opportunity to think, pray and prepare for the rest of the day
- Family time – breakfast has increase the time I spend with my family
As I mentioned above, this has made a big difference in my health and daily routing, not the least of which is weight loss. I’ll detail some of my other changes in future posts but hope that this one will encourage my friends to consider breakfast as an essential to the start of each day.